I was recently given a box of fabrics that a neighbor picked up at a yard sale. It had a lot of gaudy roses printed on a black background:
unsuccesfully to make a stack-and-whack type quilt. Since the pieces weren't cut in a way that would work for that, I took apart the partially assembled blocks and used the pieces to make churn dash blocks:
I'm sure some of you will wonder why in the world I didn't use BLACK for my background fabric. It's not like black is new to me, after all. But in this case I felt like it needed the white-on-white to open up the print so that it wasn't so heavy and dark. Also, the pattern peices are more defined going this way. We'll see if I was right when it's finished!