First of all, on this scrappy, you really need to use a really light or a really dark background. This in-between collection of scraps that I had of various white-on-cream fabrics was a disaster for this pattern. It cost me all the definition I was shooting for. Also, on the blades of the ribbon star blocks, I found that if I used any lighter colored fabrics on the blades, the blade disappeared and left an ill-defined star.
On the checkerboard sashings, using the scrappy backgrounds was a mistake because it blended too much with the colored squares and again cost me definition.
Don't get me wrong... it's not a totally ugly flimsy... just could be SO much BETTER!
So, being stubborn, as I stated earlier, I did the whole thing over, using WOW as the background and being careful not to use any scraps of color that were too light. Look at the difference! Same exact pattern I designed for the first one, and mostly the same colored fabrics... but I like this one lots better!
I'll probably end up ripping the first one apart, but NOT TODAY! I think I'll go play around with some new ideas instead.